Groot transforms into a massive monster and a brand new Spider-Verse hero appears, Radiant Black gets a massive 2023 event and more in this week’s comics news.
Groot transforms into a massive, evil creature in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. A brand new Spider-Verse character appears from the comics to take on Electro and other dangers.
As we continue our look at the most important comics news of the last week, including those from Image Comics, Marvel, and others, please join us. These are the most popular seven comic news stories over the last seven days.
Related: Star Wars launches massive 2023 event in this week’s Comics News
- Kim-Joy, a finalist for 2018’s Great British Bake Off and bestselling cookbook author, is currently writing her first graphic novel, Turtle Bread: A Graphic Novel About Baking, Fitting In, and the Power of Friendship. The book features illustrations created by Alti Firmansyah, Turtle Bread follows the story of a woman called Yan who is trying to conquer her anxiety about socializing after she joins a baking club. The graphic novel arrives digitally in the month of May 2023 on ComiXology and later in 2023 when it will be printed by Dark Horse Comics.
- ECV Analog and author Russ Burlingame are raising funds for a new novel that delves into the full story of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. Time To Be Heroes: An Uncensored Guide to Legends of Tomorrow, which includes interviews with the cast and crew interviews with people who participated in the cult CW series, is now available for funding through Kickstarter.
- Robert Kirkman, Invincible Invincible, and Matheus Lopes will be teaming up to launch a new Skybound series titled Void Rivals. It will bring readers to a brand-new world. The series releases on June 20, 2023. The publisher announced about the series that “In Void Rivals, the war continues to rage in the Sacred Ring, where the remaining remnants of two planets have collapsed around a black hole that is a constant war. But when Captain Darak and his friend Solila both crash on an uninhabited planet, these two adversaries must find a way to make it out together. Do they really have the sole right to be on this strange planet?” And what dark forces will they encounter that could threaten the entire universe?”
Related: Sleeping Beauty’s Maleficent Receives an Evil Disney Solo Series
First Guardians of the GalaxyTrailer Changes Groot into the Monster
- The first trailer of Marvel’s new Guardians of the Galaxy series by Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, Kev Walker, and Matt Hollingsworth teases Groot transforming into a massive and deadly creature that could end the whole Marvel universe.
- Marvel released a teaser of their new Guardians of the Galaxy series, “GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 introduces an overwhelming new cosmic threat to the Marvel Universe which was born from the heart of the group: GROOTFALL. Marvel’s intergalactic heroes are pushed into the Manifold Territories by this mysterious phenomenon. This area of Marvel space is largely unexplored and undiscovered, with undiscovered alien species and planets that have never been previously seen.
- Guardians of the Galaxy#1 comes out on 12 April 2023, from Marvel
Marvel Gets Ready for Grootfall With New Variant series
- Marvel has released a different series to celebrate the title and Groot’s solo series. It was created by Dan Abnett and Damian Couceiro.
- “To celebrate Groot’s big year Marvel’s Stormbreakers Class of 2023 has featured him in new variations of the covers!” the publisher said of the series. “See Groot in all of his shapes and sizes lend an aid to the X-Men and Avengers in these gorgeous pieces that will grace Marvel’s top titles throughout April.”
- The series contains variants of Avengers: War Across Time #4 (on sale April 5, 2023), Cosmic Ghost Rider #2 (on sale April 12, 2023), Captain Marvel #48 (on sale April 12, 2023), Captain Marvel #48 (on Sales April 12, 2023), Captain America: Symbol of Truth #12 (on stock April 12, 2023), X-Men #11 by Nic Klein (on stock April 12, 2023), and Captain America: Symbol of Truth #12 (on SALE on April 26, 2023). Villa (on sale on April 26, 2023), Doctor Strange#2 by Lucas Werneck (on sale on April 26, 2023), Invincible Iron Man#5 by Federico Vicentini (on sale April 26th, 2023), and Sins of Sinister: Dominion#1 by Jan Bazaldua (on sale April 26th, 2023).
Related: Agatha Harkness Is Marvel’s newest major villain in the Contest of Chaos Saga
A futuristic Spider-Man Invades the Spider-Verse
- Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Verse will introduce an all-new Spider-Man character named Recluse. The story from writer Cheryl Lynn Eaton and artist Julian Shaw is set in a dystopian future and will see Recluse fighting Electro who has taken control of all of the world’s power and is keeping the world in darkness.
- A distinct story in Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Versefrom writer and artist Jason Loo will also introduce readers to Spider-Friend the new superhero that comes from the WandaVision-like part of the multiverse. It’s filled with laughter tracks and is filmed in front of a live studio audience.
- Miles Morales and Spider-Punk will each get their individual Marvel’s Voices: Spider-Versestories. Additional creators involved in the anthology include Cody Ziglar, Jeremy Holt, Vita Ayala, Steve Foxe, J. Holtham, Jahnoy Lindsay, Eric Koda, Alberto Alburquerque, Luciano Vecchio, and Ken Lashley. Cover art comes from Leinil Francis Yu. There are also variations of covers from John Giang, Phil Jimenez, and Inhyuk Lee.
Radiant Black’s Massive Verse Heads to war
- Image Comics has announced that they will be launching a new Massive-Verse event dubbed “The Catalyst War” which will be happening in July 2023. The story will be released on July 19’s Radiant Black#25 and is written by Kyle Higgins (Joe Clark), and Eduardo Ferigato. Raul Angulo, Marcelo Costa, Raul Agulo Raul Angulo, Becca Carey, and Marcelo Costa.
- Image Comics released a teaser video, in which Higgins declares that Catalyst “is the machine empire that ties the Radiants,” Higgins said. What is their larger purpose within the world?” What are the meanings of the radiants to them? What does it mean to Nathan, Marshall, and Earth when Catalyst shows up to take back what is theirs? Nathan, Marshall, and the others will be exposed to the truth about the Radiants that they’ve synced their lives to, and will be in conflict with cosmic gods, and be forced to make even more difficult decisions in the lives of billions.”
Related: Marvel Gives Sharon Carter a Dramatic New Costume and Skull-themed Mask
Artist Olivier Coipel Readies for Spider-Man’s Most Shocking Issue in 50 Years
- Marvel has released a new variant cover by Olivier Coipel, Amazing Spider-Man#25.
- Amazing Spider-Man#25 has been teased by Zeb Wells and John Romita Jr. as the “most shocking issue of Amazing Spider-Man in fifty years.” Details are still being kept confidential, but Romita Jr.’s main page as well as the story arc suggest Mary Jane Watson might be the source of the “shock.”
- The synopsis of Amazing Spider-Man#25, which will be released on May 10, 2023, reads, “The past and the present collide in this oversized and massive 25th issue! This one is not for you.
Ninja Turtles and Street Fighter Clash in New Art
- Artist Ariel Medel showed off some new artwork from IDW’s coming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vs. Street Fighter crossover series.
- Written by Paul Allor with art by Medel and colors by Sarah My, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vs. Street Fighter is a miniseries that will debut in May 2023. IDW declared that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arrive in Atlantic City to participate in a prestigious fight tournament. However, they quickly meet Street Fighter (TM)….and their famous Psycho Fighting Forms that are powered. Both teams fight immediately and are eager to show off their combat skills and show their fighting ability. The tensions are already high, and tensions escalate as both teams are involved in mysterious disappearances which plague the city. Could it be the mysterious source of the event?
- “My head has been exploding ever since they gave me the project,” Medel said when the show was announced. “Not just because the characters have impacted me in so many ways personally since their debuts but also because they’re such famous! It’s unique in the sense that I’ve also watched movies as well as playing games. This crossover is my favorite and it’s awe-inspiring to be able to draw both properties within one comic.